Thursday, September 13, 2012

POETIC FACTS: A Fragmentation of a Whole - Who am I?


Killing me softy with his song,
telling my whole life in his words,
killing me softy -
with memories of words 

that pierced me 
like
shooting
daggers.

Bakay Blanc
Vrais Kwayibe
Honky
Yellow Gyal

never Black

And not beautiful
I was dee white cakapul
The darkest berry was always sweeter
My sugar not brown enough
I was an unsweet,
Bakay Blanc, Vrais Kwayibe, Honky, Yellow ball of sh*t!

I just wanted to fit in, 

blend into the crowd.
Not be different.
No longer a half-breed, 

but a whole person.
Not a mixed up cake -
BI-racial,

picking sides.
I could hate White cakapul too.
I could raise my fist for Garvey-separatism.
Except my White cakapul father would not be a part of my world.
And I longed for his love,
for a father’s love to shade me from these words
still imbedded in my Soul
Bakay Blanc
Vrais Kwayibe
Honky
Yellow Gyal

never Black


And not beautiful
I was dee white cakapul
With a honky for a father
Whom I love
And a beautiful Black Kalinago Queen for a mother,

whom I adore.
Whose very Blackness proves
I am a WHOLE BLACK person…



"Whole Black" © 2009 Kalinago Woryi

No comments:

Post a Comment