Saturday, June 4, 2011

POETIC FACTS: The Persistence of Memory




The Persistence of Memory - Salvador Dali



Dreams ring to me like a clarion call
waking every sense of me
home bound
speaking to my soul
in warm, soft whispers of memory
of a childhood spent on blackened beaches
yellowing under the sun
like ripened fruit
growing in the sweetness of breezes
tainted with the scent of mangos and guava
swinging in trees
lifted high into the bluest sky
above The Old Mill at Canefield.
Days spent in Roseau come back to me
like the heat that stretches high under my Convent school skirt
snatching my attention from the palm tree breezes back to tarred streets.
A thirst-wrenching heat that I am forced to quench at a standpipe
that will soon be used for someone’s morning bath.
I want to run over past Cork Street into Four Corners
and beg an ice-cream from my uncle’s parlor to fend off the rising sun
but it is closed, as is Madech on Great George Street
where my Pahweh might have given me some from his stash above the store
The morning sun rises high and early
And I am drawn hypnotically to Bayfront again,
Cruise ships, sitting pretty on the water’s edge
as the horizon beckons in the dawn
I imagine waking to more mornings like this
Hoping tomorrow will never come
And I will never again leave my Dominica
But I open my eyes again, in another man’s land
Exile One playing on the stereo
as I lay reminiscing...

"Good Morning, Dominica!"
© 2011 Kalinago Woryi


ahhhhhhhhhh! The FACT is, I left home 24 years ago and still, the thought of the shores of my island home never cease to draw me back to her...



2 comments:

  1. Ma Desh is on Great George Street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Yes, indeed! I stand corrected...blame it on my old age! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete